The Raptor's Den
Going through softcore mutation...
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Friday, July 16, 2010
I'm going to be chuckling about that for *days*...
So I am still tickled about an incident earlier this evening. We were in the parking lot of the Dollar General, having just bought a quart of oil for the truck. We had the hood up and were pouring in the oil when another truck pulls out from across the road. They were headed towards the bowling alley, and as such had to go right by us, and out of the back window I hear an eight year old boy shouting delightedly- "That's what you get for buying a Chevy!"
I looked up, and yep, they were in a Ford :)
Friday, July 09, 2010
(While driving home, listening to an 80's night on the radio, "Pump Up The Jam" comes on)
Owlvark: This always makes me think of someone with a jar of jam and a bicycle pump.
Duamuteffe: What, literal pumping, plus jam?
Owlvark: Yes, someone flailing away with a foot pump, trying to inflate the jam for some reason.
Duamuteffe: It's lucky I don't listen to this song on purpose, as I am never going to hear it the same way again.
Owlvark: More air! More air in my jam!
Duamuteffe: You know what it makes me think of?
Owlvark: Maybe they need carbonated jam for some reason.
Duamuteffe: That wasn't what- oh, never mind.
Saturday, July 03, 2010
Another excellent Cracked article-
7 Reasons The 21st Century Is Making You Miserable
Hint: it's not because you don't spend enough time online...
"When someone speaks to you face-to-face, what percentage of the meaning is actually in the words, as opposed to the body language and tone of voice? Take a guess. It's 7 percent. The other 93 percent is nonverbal, according to studies." ... "That's the crux of the problem. That human ability to absorb the moods of others through that kind of subconscious osmosis is crucial. Kids born without it are considered mentally handicapped. People who have lots of it are called "charismatic" and become movie stars and politicians. It's not what they say; it's this energy they put off that makes us feel good about ourselves. When we're living in Text World, all that is stripped away. There's a weird side effect to it, too: absent a sense of the other person's mood, every line we read gets filtered through our own mood instead. The reason I read my friend's chili message as sarcastic was because I was in an irritable mood. In that state of mind, I was eager to be offended. And worse, if I do enough of my communicating this way, my mood never changes. After all, people keep saying nasty things to me! Of course I'm depressed! It's me against the world!"
Thursday, July 01, 2010
And the internet has delivered a brief glimpse of what that would be like!
As an addendum, the vuvuzela is now my favorite instrument :)