Thursday, April 08, 2010

So I've been working on various projects for Mechanical Turk, which is a service provided by Amazon that matches people with time on their hands to people who need a task done by a person that computers are as yet unable to. Things like deciding which images from a given set are of a specific food type, doing questionnaires for psych studies, gleaning information from articles, deciding the emotional slant of Twitter posts, and the like. The pay varies wildly, and nobody's going to be able to quit their job to do this, but sometimes good jobs come up and I am currently making beer money with my ability to write 200+ words about any given subject. It's pretty awesome. Broadband might make it more awesome, but dialup doesn't affect the writing tasks, so I'm certainly not going to complain.

I'm working on my Etsy site, too, by which I mean I'm working on more things for it, the fact that I haven't sold anything yet notwithstanding. but I have recently met some other local makers of things, and we're all comparing notes. And of course, work continues on the novel, slowly, but steadily. So I'm fairly pleased with my progress at the moment.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Dagdamor said...

do the "good jobs" every go over $1?

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

It depends. Anything higher than that tends to require a little writing skill or research skill or both. If there's enough decent dollar jobs, and you have the time, you can do a ton of them and make a little dosh. Like I said, no one will be quitting their day jobs to work on this, but it's doing fine for me right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home