Thursday, July 05, 2012

So we had a lot of fun at the fair last night- we drove to a fairly big one to make sure we got some good fireworks for the Fourth, and we had a terrific time on the midway. The Doc needs pills to ride any rides (if he isn’t driving, he gets motion sick on anything but trains) and we hadn’t brought any with us, so we stuck to the food and the games. I still seem to have a knack for the game where you throw rings over knives, and I won a terrible crappy folder with “S.W.A.T.” haphazardly stenciled on the blade (which was okay but I had been aiming at the gloriously kitchy modified butterfly thing that was speckled pink and blue) The Doc and I both had a go at the game where you use a Thompson mockup to shoot bursts of plastic shrapnel and attempt to obliterate a painted star from a piece of card, and I came very, very close, but the bottom was still held on with a shred of paper and had folded over behind where I couldn’t see it, so I had to go on without the intensely goofy looking stuffed honey badger with “honey badger don’t care” written on its chest. (I then had to remind myself that I was no longer twelve and should not be disappointed and if I wanted a damn cheap stuffed toy I could go home and buy one off the internet. But anyway) We wandered through the livestock exhibits, watched a barrel racing competition involving kids under five with stick horses, nearly escaped death by diabetes from how cute it was, petted goats and admired chickens, paid a dollar to see a giant horse, fed a five-legged sheep, and watched trick dirt bike jumps. We drank two enormous lemonades (what is it about fair lemonade? It’s so expensive but it tastes so damned good) and some fried food (I had deep fried cauliflower the size of my fist- amazing) and then I promptly remembered that I was no longer young enough to drink 32 ounces of oversugared lemonade and eat fried food and walk for two hours on a 90 degree fairground without consequences and we had a nice long sit down on some convenient benches while I decided whether or not I was going to have to yak. A nice girl sitting near us who offered us the rest of her deep fried Oreos did not help the issue (unintentionally, of course) but luckily soon dusk fell and it cooled off and I felt much better. And then the fireworks started, and it was wonderful. They had a great display, and afterwards I managed to win a small purple unicorn by hitting balloons with darts. The guy running it even gave the Doc a prize because it was the Fourth. We drove home through an amazing thunderstorm, and fell into bed exhausted. All in all, a successful holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home