Friday, March 17, 2006

Late Night Movie Musings

Was anyone anywhere actually scared by The Leprechaun? Seriously? I mean, I'm glad Warwick Davis got a paycheck and all (several, given that there were four or five sequels) because he's very talented, and yeah it's nice to see someone trying for a slasher flick outside the usual mold, but come on, who besides Garth Algar is terrified to watch these? Horror and humor are both hard to get right, and nearly impossible to reconcile in the same script; some rare movies manage it (off the top of my head, Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf In London, Shaun of the Dead, and Evil Dead 2) but they're pretty special. Most follow Sturgeon's Law and fail to be either scary or funny, instead being irritating, non-scary, or even tedious. This film, while at least different from the normal late-night slasher fare, is definitely not scary and its humor relies mainly on the "let's throw a small guy around!" portion of slapstick. Although I have to admit that the line, "Fuck you, Lucky Charms!" is fairly amusing #grins#

As a side note, I've just found the scariest thing about this movie. I think I actually had the L.A. Gear hightops the heroine (a youngish Jennifer Aniston, according to IMDB) is wearing. I mean, they have pink edging and pink laces- what the hell was I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home