Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sredni Vashtar went forth
His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white
His enemies wanted peace, but he brought them death
Sredni Vashtar the beautiful

- Saki, "Sredni Vashtar"

That was the first Saki story I ever read, which I found in the book of pre-1940's horror that was the only book I ever purposely took permantly from the school library. I got a book of Saki stories for Christmas some years later, and a little while after that (after the advent of Amazon) I ended up with the complete collection, which I quite fervently recommend to anyone who enjoys fantastic (and fantastically sarcastic) literature. Saki is brilliant and hilarious and if the character Clovis Sangrail was a real person I would kidnap him and chain him to my bed. But I digress. #grins#

Why this all of a sudden? I was checking my stats at Statcounter (it's quite addictive) and found someone linking off Bradkitty's livejournal, Bradbury being an old friend of mine whom I seem to have lost touch with. Case in point, I didn't actually realize that he had a livejournal. But there it is, with a link to the text of Sredni Vashtar on the sidebar, and one to Urban Dead, and a mention of Ghost in the Shell and Doctor Who. Funny that we still have a lot in common #grins# If you're reading this, hi Bradbury, it's been too long. Drop me a line sometime; my email is findable through Dubious Treats, if a little digging is done.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you! ;)

That was the first Saki story I ever read, too, from an old book that I found on my grandparents' dusty bookshelves some 20-odd years ago.

(Hehehe, I don't feel nearly as bad now, knowing that I'm not the only one who ever purposely removed a book from the school library. In my case, it was a copy of -- wait for it -- Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles". Years later, I returned to leave an anonymous donation earmarked for the library, but that's another story for another time...)

I've been writing for a number of years; I'm kind of surprised that I hadn't mentioned that to you at -some- point. My apologies.

I'm happy to see that we still have a lot in common. Urban Dead? Oh, man, at one time, for a few months, I was playing 6 different characters (in wholly different suburbs of course), rotating through 4 each day and often hitting the IP limit anyway. These days, however, I'm only playing two with any regularity. But, maaaaan. Were you around for the first Caiger Mall siege? Those were the days.

I should probably wrap this up and go. I'll be in touch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home