Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Last night I actually dreamed about eating a burger from Max and Irma's. In honor of me apparently finally losing my mind from a lack of decent beef, I present the lyrics from Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger In Paradise, " a song which up to now I thought was more or less fictional.

"Tried to amend my carnivorous habits
Made it nearly seventy days
Losin' weight without speed, eatin' sunflower seeds
Drinkin' lots of carrot juice and soakin' up rays

But at night I'd have these wonderful dreams
Of some kind of sensuous treat
Not zucchini, fettuccini, or bulgur wheat
But a big warm bun and a huge hunk of meat

Cheeseburger is paradise
Heaven on earth with an onion slice
Not too particular, not too precise
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise

I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz Fifty-seven and French fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Well, good God Almighty, which way do I steer
For my cheeseburger in paradise

Heard about the old time sailor men
They eat the same thing again and again
Warm beer and bread they say could raise the dead
Well, it reminds me of the menu at a Holiday Inn

But times have changed for sailors these days
When I'm in port I get what I need
Not just Havanas or banana or daiquiris
But that American creation on which I feed

Cheeseburger in paradise
Medium rare with mustard'd be nice
Not too particular, not too precise
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise

I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draught beer
Well, good god Almighty which way do I steer

For a cheeseburger in paradise
Makin' the best of every virtue and vice
Worth every damn bit of sacrifice
To get a cheeseburger in paradise
To be a cheeseburger in paradise
I'm just a cheeseburger in paradise...."

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Dagdamor said...

you're a vegetarian? i didn't know, thats funny, i like max and irma's :D

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

Holy fucking lord no, I'm not a vegetarian. But meat is quite expensive in the UK, and therefore doesn't show up on the dinner menu every day- today, for instance. And the British don't have hamburgers as we know them at home; they tend to mix ground beef with pork, for one thing. Ketchup is different (even Heinz ketchup is different in Britain) and it's not always possible to find a place that will put, say, bacon and cheese on your burger. Barbeque sauce is hard to find as well- you can get it in supermarkets, sometimes, but like the ketchup it's usually got a lot of different ingredients, and the result of all of this, while certainly edible, is not a giant rare burger with BBQ, cheddar, and onions from Max and Irma's. Which I miss terribly.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger A Magical Legacy: A Sims 3 Supernatural Legacy Challenge said...

3 words: Hot Fresh Cookies!

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

Those are lovely as well. My body seems to have put its major priority on protein, though, judging from my dreams.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger A Magical Legacy: A Sims 3 Supernatural Legacy Challenge said...

Dessert should always be a priority :-)

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

There are lots of different types of dessert in England, I'll give them that- they have at least as much snack food as we do at home, if not more. I'm lucky I'm not a snack junkie, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home