Thursday, January 08, 2009

Oh for crying out loud...are you all eight years old or something? "*They* had ads on buses, so *we* have to have ads on buses!" Screw you, stop acting like third graders- do you know what the money spent on both sides would have done for a third-world nation? Let me put this plainly, because I am tired of people assuming my views on the subject. I find all forms of being preached to equally annoying, regardless of origin. If someone from either side says, "But *we're* right!" guess what? You're fooling yourself if you think you're different from the other side by virtue of anything other than viewpoint- telling people what to believe is telling people what to believe, whatever side you're on. I find atheism, especially chosen as it is by so many people for no other reason than they find organized religion irritating and/or incomprehensible, to be just as preachy and sanctimonious as any evangelical religion out there, and I'm sick and tired of having both sides try and tell me why they're obviously right and the other is obviously wrong. Screw off! I'm not an atheist, and I'm not a member of an organized religion. I have my own belief system, with which I am extremely comfortable with, and I have never had the urge to write a book, start a website, or put messages on buses to tell the world about it, because that's not my job, not my responsibility, and it's definitely not any of my damn business. It's self-aggrandizing and self-important, and the leaders on both sides of the debate absolutely love being the spotlight, which is why they do what they do. I don't give a damn what your religion is, or lack of it, but the next time either of your groups decide to have another little playground war, why don't you refrain from throwing money around to draw attention to yourselves and, hey, here's an idea, spend the money on something that really matters- send it to the Heifer Project or some other charity of your choice, and help some people who really need it, instead of trying to generate controversy and publicity. Go help someone with your faith, or help someone with your lack of it, and everyone, seriously, try to stop being such attention whores.

And yes, there are no comments. I am not interested in others' views on the subject being written about on my blog. This is the kind of debate that virtually no-one can remain polite, objective, and open-minded about for long, and polite, objective open-minded discussion is the only type I tolerate. For this same reason, I'm not taking comments on this via email. Yes, there's freedom of speech, but that's in the country at large- I run my blog as a tiny, text-based benevolent dictatorship, and I have the option not to listen to people's opinions when I choose, and right now, I don't give a damn where you stand. Go *do* something worthwhile with your beliefs/lack of them, don't just sit around bitching endlessly about it.

Enough words. I'm off to give some time and money instead.

Labels: ,