Wednesday, March 11, 2009

And people ask me why I like this one better than "On The Road"

"Those afternoons, those lazy afternoons, when I used to sit, or lie down, on Desolation Peak, sometimes on the alpine grass, hundreds of miles of snowcovered grass all around, looming Mount Hozomeen on my north, vast snowy Jack to the south, the encharmed picture of the lake below to the west and the snowy hump of Mount Baker beyond, and to the east the rilled and ridged monstrosities humping to the Cascade Ridge, and after that first time suddenly realizing "It's me that changed and done all this and come and gone and complained and hurt and joyed and yelled, not the Void!" and so that every time I thought of the void I'd be looking at Mt. Hozomeen (because chair and bed and meadowgrass faced north) until I realized "Hozomeen is the Void- at least Hozomeen is the void to my eyes"- Stark naked rock, pinnacles, and thousand feet high protruding from immense timbered shoulders, and the green pointy-fir snake of my own (Starvation) Ridge wriggling to it, to its awful vaulty blue smokebody rock, and the "clouds of hope" lazing in Canada beyond with their tittlefaces and parallel lumps and sneers and grins and lamby banks and puffs of snout and mews of crack saying "Hoi! Hoi, Earth!"- the very top tittermost peak abominables of Hozomeen made of black rock and only when storms blew I don't see them and all they do is return tooth for tooth to storm an imperturbable surl for cloudburst mist- Hozomeen that does not crack like cabin rigging in the winds, that when seen from upsidedown (when I'd do my headstand in the yard) is just a hanging bubble in the illimitable ocean of space-
Hozomeen, Hozomeen, most beautiful mountain I ever seen, like a tiger sometimes with stripes, sunwashed rills and shadow crags wriggling lines in the Bright Daylight, vertical furrows and bumps and Boo! crevasse, boom, sheer magnificent Prudential mountain, nobody's even heard of it, and it's only 8,000 feet high, but what a horror when I first saw that void the first night of my staying on Desolation Peak waking up from deep fogs of 20 hours to a starlit night suddenly loomed by Hozomeen with his two sharp points, right in my window black- the Void, every time I'd think of the Void I'd see Hozomeen and understand- Over 70 days I had to stare at it."

- Jack Kerouac, "Desolation Angels"

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Megin said...

Desolation was the first Kerouac I ever read, and it will probably always be my favorite. The imagery is absolutely fabulous.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

I agree completely. The whole first half of the book, when he's living in the fire tower...Amazing.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was one of two passages that changed my life.
The other was the first two pages of Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home