Friday, February 24, 2006

Late Night Movie Musings

Yeah, I keep titling these late night, but I often don't get around to posting about them until the next day, thus the timestamps. Not that I can get this thing to recognize my time zone anyway. If anyone cared enough to wonder why they're all wonky, that is.

So anyway, I watched Mr. Vampire again, which is one of my all-time favorite flicks, and another horror film I recommend, although for entirely different reasons than Dog Soldiers. This one is funny as hell; a sort of slapstick kung-fu flick with awesome Taoist magic, idiot apprentices, Chinese hopping vampires, a frisky ghost, horror interspersed with rampant silliness, and of course, excellent action sequences. Most of the action sequence also mix horror and silliness; the fight in the jail is an excellent example of what combining skilled martial artists and lunacy can do, i.e. be incredibly entertaining.

I do feel bad for Ting-Ting, though. Considering her marriage prospects are Wai, her egotistical coward of a cousin, Chou, who is flippant and easily distracted, and Man-Choi, who is also not too bright and fairly homely to boot (and I'm trying to be charitable) she really ends up up a creek by the end. I'd say her best bet would be to marry Kau, the Taoist priest. Yeah, he's older (well, at least he's supposed to be) but at least he's capable and intelligent, has his own cool house, and doesn't go about accidently unleashing vampires and ghosts willy-nilly on the populace. #grins#

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home