Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Omnivore's Hundred

Instructions amended slightly from their original incarnation.

1) Copy this list (including the instructions)
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Strike-through any items that you would never consider eating, or have tried and will never try again (remember to bold it though, because you've still tried it once).

- From the one and only Fox, via the one and only Teh Kid


1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes (Though once I have a garden...)
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I'm not that much of a masochist.)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi Peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (At least until next time I'm at the Indian restaurant; I remember seeing it on the menu...)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (It's a bit too 'frat party' for me, thanks.)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail (They're damned expensive, for some unknown reason)
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (Eh, it's only cultural conditioning that makes the idea unattractive- protein is protein.)
43. Phaal (See: scotch bonnet pepper)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £80/$120 or more
46. Fugu (What, am I stupid?)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (I realize I'm in the minority in this, but the one I had was fresh and everything and it still tasted to me like it had been dipped in a thick coat of wax.)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi (Too expensive here to try.)
53. Abalone (I can't for the life of me remember where, though.)
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (Not unless I was actively starving to death)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (Man, I miss this stuff)
60. Carob chips (I <3 Tiger's Milk Bars)
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin (It's the stuff they use in Pepto, I believe.)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (OD'd on it at the Tidioute Fishing Tournament when I was a kid; now I can't stand the stuff...)
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (Caviar is only prepared fish eggs, unless they specify "beluga" or what-have-you, and I ate a lot of fish eggs growing up.)
73. Louche absinthe (I don't know why we never got around to getting any absinthe while I was in the UK; we kept meaning to...)
74. Gjetost, or brunost (I'm getting some at Wegmans' next time, though, as it sounds really good)
75. Roadkill (As in, "Hey, if we have to pay for car damages, we're certainly not going to waste the deer that caused it. Throw it in the back.")
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (Haven't been able to eat these since I was a teenager- the vast amounts of sugar make me queasy)
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (It's an acquired taste)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum (I'm filing the recipe away for future reference, though)
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a Michelin three-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers (Violets, mostly)
89. Horse (I have a few personal issues with the concept. I have eaten zebra, though.)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (It belongs in Monty Python sketches and not on my plate, thank you.)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano (Oo, definitely have to try that)
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home